Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I just don’t know what to do with myself…

It has been a while since I have last updated, so I feel like I should at least put something on the page (for all my fans out there, you know - thanks for reading, Mom). It is about time for the obligatory “COUNTDOWN!” post that so many soon-to-be Peace Corps Trainees include on their blogs as departure looms nearer, so here’s mine:

Two weeks to go, and I am surprisingly calm. I’m at the beach with my family and find myself at a loss as to what I should be doing. The past month has been spent rushing around gathering info about Zambia, filling out PC paperwork, having a ridiculous number of passport-sized photos made, buying gear I think I will need (despite all the disapproving remarks from friends who fear that I am taking more than is necessary – and yes, just so you Debbie Downers know, my Aveda hair products are essential, and they will find their way onto the plane no matter what), settling money and legal matters at home, eating (as discussed in my previous post), seeing friends and family here and there, and studying for my exam to become a Registered Dietitian (which I passed last Monday, Yippee! That’s one less thing to worry about upon my return to the states in 27 months!).

I think that because I have been pretty tied up over the last several weeks, I don’t even know what to do with myself now that I have some down time. I think I’m just going to go with it, sit back, and enjoy my last bit of time at home. It might be quite a while before I am given the opportunity to just sit and do nothing. I am looking forward to seeing one of my best friends who is flying in from NYC tomorrow, and hanging out with other buddies and family at home before I leave. Perhaps I’ll practice packing my suitcase, or setting up my tent.

I also want to say a big THANK YOU to everyone who has helped me prepare for my adventure. Because of the things I was able to purchase with your help, I feel so much better prepared for Zambia. And your kind words of encouragement will remind me, each day I am over there, of why I decided to serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer, and give me comfort in knowing others are thinking of me back home. Thank you for supporting me, and in doing so, also showing your support of the Peace Corps!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps